Should You Try Online Dating? The Pros and Cons
Technological advances continue to change culture and society, and online dating has drastically changed the dating scene. Online dating is more popular than ever, with millions of singles turning the internet to find a date. If you’re trying to decide if you should try online dating, it’s a good idea to consider the pros and cons before making a decision. Once you’re aware of the pros and cons, you’ll find it easier to decide if the web is the right place to turn when you’re trying to find true love.
The Pros of Online Dating
- Pro #1 – Expand Your Dating Pool – Online dating allows you to expand your dating pool, especially since millions of singles are using online dating sites today. It’s possible to meet people out of your social circle or geographic area, so you’ll be able to meet a lot more people online than you will with traditional dating.
- Pro #2 – Online Dating is Available 24/7 – Today’s singles lead busy lives, so it’s difficult to meet someone. Online dating is available 24/7, making it easier to add your search for a mate to your busy schedule.
- Pro #3 – Helpful Matching Services – Many online dating websites provide helpful matching services, which may be done based upon the contents of your profile or through personality testing. This may help you find more partners that are compatible with you.
- Pro #4 – Get to Know Someone Before Meeting – When you try online dating, you’ll have the chance to get to know potential dates before you meet them. This allows you to determine if you really want to go on a date with the individuals that you meet, which can be a big time saver.
- Pro #5 – Discover What You Really Want in a Relationship – Start creating an online profile and you’ll be surprised at how much information many dating sites require for your profile. However, as you begin going through this process, you’ll probably start thinking about what you really want in a partner and a relationship. Knowing what you really want in a date is beneficial, whether your online dating efforts pay off or not.
The Cons of Dating Online
- Con #1 – It’s Easy for People to Lie Online – Unfortunately, online dating makes it extremely easy to lie. It’s not uncommon for individuals to lie about their marital status, weight, age, income, height, and more.
- Con #2 – The Huge Dating Pool May Seem Overwhelming – Sometimes the huge dating pool may begin to feel overwhelming. If you don’t have a good plan for choosing a date, you may find yourself stuck just looking for the right person instead of actually getting involved in a good relationship.
- Con #3 – It’s Often Tough to Evaluate Potential Matches Online – When you communicate with a potential date online, it can be tough to evaluate them. Talking online doesn’t allow you to pay attention to body language, tone of voice, and other features that can help you decide if you’re compatible with the individual.
After looking at the pros and cons of online dating, you may want to consider trying a hybrid of both offline and online dating. Online dating is an excellent resource that can help you mind potential dates that you can meet face-to-face. Just make sure you don’t get stuck in online dating – your goal is to turn online dating into an offline relationship.