When you’re in a relationship, even the tiniest, accidental slight can cut deep. Here is some advice to help you keep your relationship rock solid.
10. Don’t be disrespectful to your partner’s culture, beliefs, or religious faith – Even if you have clashing cultures or beliefs from your significant other, it’s important to understand that they may consider your views similarly “wrong.” Being respectful towards each other will make everyone happy.
9. Don’t disregard your partner’s family – Not taking into consideration the value of your partner’s family unit can end a relationship rather quickly. Your partner often puts value in their words of wisdom and contributions, so ignoring them will give you some serious side-eye.
8. Don’t be disrespectful to your partner’s likes and interests – No matter if they enjoy watching TV, listening to music, collecting clothes, collecting toys, or playing video games, if you try to put a damper on something that they enjoy, it can create resentment in your partner towards you.
7. Don’t try and force your likes and interests on your partner – On the other hand, you shouldn’t try to force your partner to enjoy something they don’t enjoy. As long as they respect your interests, it’s fine – it won’t earn you any points for trying to make them enjoy it as well.
6. Don’t go to bed angry – Going to bed angry can create a recipe for disaster. If you make up after a fight before you go to sleep, you go to sleep happy and you wake up happy.
5. Don’t withhold sex out of spite – This should not be thought to mean that you should give up sex whenever you’re asked, but at the same time, withholding out of spite can create tension. If your partner is acting a fool, or if you’re just not in the mood, these are good reasons to withhold – but not just to make them frustrated.
4. Don’t try to set roles without explicit approval from your partner – Trying to be a dominant force may have been an okay idea, back in the 1950s. Nowadays, we view that kind of attempt at a power structure to be archaic.
3. Don’t spend beyond your means – Spending too much can not only put serious financial strain on you and your partner, but it can also make you seem untrustworthy with money. This can lead them to feel less comfortable with you dealing with expenses, or leave you altogether.
2. Never make a point of disregarding your partner – People never liked to be disregarded, and it can be incredibly wounding for your partner if you do such a thing.
1. Never be emotionally or physically abusive – This is of course the most important thing. Not only is it horrible immoral, it’s highly illegal.